Trendy

North Korea denies "WannaCry" cyber-attack allegations

North Korea on Thursday has denied all US's allegations that it was behind the massive cyber attack "WannaCry" earlier this year which affected more than 150 countries.

A spoke person from North Korea's Foreign Ministry described the accusation as a "grave political provocation" and said Washington had "ulterior motives.”

"This move is a grave political provocation by the US aimed at inducing the international society into a confrontation against the DPRK by tarnishing the image of the dignified country and demonizing it," the spokesperson said.

The malware has infected more than  300,000 computers in 150 countries by encrypting user files and demanding hundreds of dollars from their owners in exchange for the keys to getting their files back.

Recently, White House's  Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert wrote an article in a Wall Street Journal accusing North Korea of WannaCry cyberattack, "After careful investigation, the United States is publicly attributing the massive WannaCry cyberattack to North Korea. We do not make this allegation lightly. We do so with evidence, and we do so with partners."

The White House revealed that Facebook and Microsoft have too joined their fight against North Korea's hackers by shutting down their hacking operations during the last week.

The revelation came on the press conference when Bossert accused North Korea of masterminding the WannaCry ransomware attack.

"Facebook took down accounts that stopped the operational execution of ongoing cyberattacks," Bossert said. "Microsoft acted to patch existing attacks, not just the WannaCry attack."

"Last week, Facebook, Microsoft and other members of the security community took joint action to disrupt the activities of a persistent, advanced threat group commonly referred to as ZINC, or the Lazarus Group," a Facebook spokesman said in a statement.